Training of Trainers Manual: International Organization for Migration and the Congregation of the Missionary Sisters of St Charles Borromeo (Scalabrinians)
This manual for the Scalabrinian missionary trainers was prepared by the Coordination Office for the Mediterranean of IOM at the request of the Congregation of the Missionary Sisters of St Charles Borromeo, Scalabrinians.
The manual has two main objectives. Firstly, it aims to foster comprehensive understanding of international migration – of the different definitions or conceptualizations of the phenomenon, of the relevant legislative framework and the role of the different actors concerned, with a focus on the role of humanitarian workers in the protection of migrants in vulnerable situations. Secondly, it seeks to convey suggestions for trainers regarding the methodology and the skills necessary to successfully train other trainers.
- MODULE 1
- MIGRATION: CONCEPTS AND CONTEXTS
- 1.1 What is migration?
- 1.2 Understanding the migration context
- MODULE 2
- TRANSVERSAL ASPECTS OF THE MIGRATION PHENOMENON
- 2.1 Considerations on the international legal framework on migration
- 2.2 Considerations on inter-institutional coordination
- 2.3 The gender dimension
- MODULE 3
- PSYCHOSOCIAL VULNERABILITY AND MIGRATION
- 3.1 Psychosocial approach in humanitarian actions
- 3.2 Psychosocial implications related to age and gender
- 3.3 Vulnerable cases: Burn out prevention
- METHODOLOGY WORKSHEET: PLANNING AND EVALUATING A TRAINING
- Analysing the training needs: Why?
- Identifying the objectives, the content, the activities: What?
- Developing training techniques: How?
- Evaluating a training: What have we learned and how can we apply it?
- Training of Trainers – Sample agenda
- Practical tips for the trainer
- Worksheet 1.1 - Let’s define migration in a World Cafe
- Worksheet 1.2 - Migration data sources
- Worksheet 2.1. A - Quiz on international migration laws
- Worksheet 2.1. B - Examples of International Agreements and Treaties on migration
- Worksheet 2.2. A - Role Play: Inter-institutional coordination
- Worksheet 2.2. B - Mind Map
- Worksheet 2.3 - Role play: The gender dimension
- Worksheet 3.1 - Case studies: Aby, Blessing e Manuel
- Worksheet 3.2 - Video “In a refugee’s words”
- Worksheet 3.3 - Role play: Aby, Blessing e Manuel