The Publications Unit is within the Migration Policy Research Division and part of the Department of International Cooperation and Partnerships. The Unit provides overall support concerning publications-related issues for Headquarters departments and Offices worldwide.
IOM produces a large number of publications, including: the World Migration Report, National Migration Profiles, the Migration Research Series; as well as other studies and reports, journals, manuals, information sheets, flyers and thematic catalogues.
The IOM Publications Platform, facilitates access to IOM publications, allowing users to download. It provides free download of over 2,200 publications.
A number of titles are published regularly including:
- The World Migration Report 2020 – Since 2000, IOM has been producing world migration reports. The World Migration Report 2020, the tenth in the world migration report series, has been produced to contribute to increased understanding of migration throughout the world. This new edition presents key data and information on migration as well as thematic chapters on highly topical migration issues, and is structured to focus on two key contributions for readers: Part I: key information on migration and migrants (including migration-related statistics); and Part II: balanced, evidence-based analysis of complex and emerging migration issues.
This flagship World Migration Report has been produced in line with IOM’s Environment Policy and is available online only. Printed hard copies have not been made in order to reduce paper, printing and transportation impacts.
- The Migration Research Series focuses on policy-oriented and empirical research and analysis with the aim to contribute to a better understanding of the multidimensional aspects of migration and inform migration policies at the national, regional and international levels. By the end of March 2021, 72 titles have been published in this series, some of which have also been published in French and Spanish. All issues are freely available online on the IOM Online bookstore, to ensure a wide reach and impact among policymakers as well as practitioners, scholars, researchers and students interested in issues related to migration.
- The International Dialogue on Migration Series was launched at the 50th anniversary session of the IOM Council in 2001, at the request of the Organization’s Member States. The IOM membership selects an annual theme to guide the International Dialogue on Migration (IDM), as well as the topics of the IDM workshops. The International Dialogue on Migration Series (or “Red Book Series”) is designed to capture and review the results of the events and research carried out within the framework of the IDM. The Red Book Series is prepared and coordinated by the IDM Unit of the Department of International Cooperation and Partnerships.
- IOM produces Migration Profiles with the financial support of external donors and the IOM Development Fund. Migration Profiles are country reports that bring together existing information from different sources and provide a comprehensive overview of key international migration and socioeconomic development trends in selected countries in different regions. The reports cover a range of statistics and other data related to immigration, emigration, return migration, remittances, labour migration and irregular migration, including trafficking and smuggling. Besides explaining some of the key factors underlying current migration patterns, the country reports also provide an assessment of the institutional and policy frameworks governing migration and their effectiveness. Drawing on the information and data presented, the Migration Profiles indicate existing data gaps and possible strategies to improve migration statistics, and present key recommendations for policymakers to improve current migration management. When preparing a Migration Profile, particular attention is given to national ownership and sustainability. Migration Profiles should be a government-owned tool produced through a process of consultation with policymakers in order to identify national priorities and objectives and the scope of the country profile.
- Migration Policy Practice is a quarterly online journal published jointly by IOM and Eurasylum Ltd. Contributions are received from senior officials in government, EU, international organizations and civil society worldwide who work in the field of migration policy. By the end of March 2021, 44 issues of the journal containing 254 articles, had been published, including five special issues on: the migration research leaders’ syndicate, child migration, the world migration report, Migration and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Global Compact for Migration.
- International Migration, is edited by Koç University and published by Wiley. Six issues of the journal are published each year. As of 2015, the Journal is online only. Hard copies of the journal can still be requested through the Wiley portal.
- IOM regularly produces information sheets on a variety of programmes, as well as policy briefs on different topics, such as the Migration, Environment and Climate Change: Policy Brief Series.
IOM publishes a variety of books and reports on migrants and migration issues. For more information or inquiries please contact IOM Publications Unit.