Migration in West and North Africa and across the Mediterranean
This edited volume provides comprehensive evidence on migration from and within West and North Africa and across the Mediterranean.
It highlights migrants’ agency and contribution to transnational development, as well as the inequalities that shape migration and the risks that migrants are exposed to.
The volume is divided in four sections, dedicated to migration trends, risks, development and governance. The volume features contributions from different IOM offices, as well as from other international organisations, research institutions and civil society organisations.
It was prepared as part of the programme Safety, Support and Solutions on the Central Mediterranean Route, funded by the United Kingdom Department for International Development (DFID).
- Key takeaways
- COVID-19 and migration in West and North Africa and across the Mediterranean
- I. Key Migration Trends – Introduction
- 1. Migration measurement along the Central Mediterranean Route: sources of data
- 2. Focus on operational data: the International Organization for Migration’s Displacement Tracking Matrix, and the Mixed Migration Centre’s Mixed Migration Monitoring Mechanism initiative
- 3. Facebook advertising data in Africa
- 4. Trends and evolving arrival patterns through the Central and Western Mediterranean Routes
- 5. Migration in Libya post-2016: recently arrived migrants and migrants who have been in Libya for at least one year
- 6. Overview of migration trends and patterns in the Republic of the Niger, 2016–2019
- 7. Migration aspirations in West and North Africa: what do we know about how they translate into migration flows to Europe?
- 8. Using big data to estimate migration “push factors” from Africa
- 9. Migration on the Western Mediterranean Route as “new nomadism”: focus on Mauritania
- 10. Transhumance Tracking Tool – a regional perspective of mobility in West Africa
- II. Migration and Risks – Introduction
- 11. Challenges on migration routes within West and Central Africa
- 12. “No one talks about what it’s really like” – risks faced by migrants in the Sahara Desert
- 13. Overview of migrants in vulnerable situations assisted in the transit centres, the Niger
- 14. What makes refugees and migrants vulnerable to protection incidents in Libya? A microlevel study on the determinants of vulnerability
- 15. Vulnerability to exploitation and abuse along the Mediterranean migration routes to Italy
- 16. Over troubled waters: maritime rescue operations in the Central Mediterranean Route
- 17. Migration and risks: smuggling networks and dynamics on the Central Mediterranean Route
- 18. Migrant smuggling in the Libyan context: re-examining the evidence
- 19. Irregular migration and vulnerability of Ivorian women returnees
- 20. Health information management in the context of forced migration in Europe
- III. Migration and Development – Introduction
- 21. Migration Across West Africa: development-related aspects
- 22. Senegalese migratory strategies: adapting to changing socioeconomic conditions in the long term
- 23. The development impact of “gold rushes” in Mali and Burkina Faso: the multifaceted effects of migration on artisanal gold mining sites
- 24. Labour migration dynamics in Libya
- 25. What are the future climate scenarios in North and West Africa?
- 26. Migration induced by climate change and environmental degradation in the Central Mediterranean Route
- 27. Towards the successful reintegration of returned migrants: IOM Niger’s trainings for migrants in transit
- 28. Returning migrants: from disillusion to integration initiatives in the South-East, North and Central regions of Senegal
- 29. Operationalizing an Integrated Approach to Reintegration (ORION)
- IV. Migration Governance, and Policy and Programming Responses – Introduction
- 30. Free movement policies and border controls: regional migration governance systems in West and North Africa and Europe, and their interactions
- 31. The collateral damage of the war on smugglers along the Central Mediterranean Route
- 32. Migration governance in North and West Africa: national policy frameworks
- 33. Diaspora and development policies in the Economic Community of West African States
- 34. Diffusion and practice of external voting in North and West Africa
- 35. Public opinion on immigration in North and West Africa: an exploration of the available evidence
- 36. Balancing migration narratives through programming and media reporting in North Africa
- 37. Assessing the impact of awareness-raising campaigns on potential migrants – What we have learned so far
- 38. Importance of data-driven responses along the Central and Western Mediterranean Routes