05 Oct 2015
Migration Policy Practice (Volume II, Number 4, August-September 2012)
Migration Policy Practice is a bimonthly journal published jointly by the International Organization for Migration (IOM) and Eurasylum Ltd. It only contributes articles from, and is overseen by, senior officials in Government, EU and international organizations, as well as civil society worldwide, working in the field of migration policy.
The focus of this edition of MPP is on migrant integration policies in a range of countries worldwide. This bilingual English–Spanish issue of MPP includes 10 articles written mostly by fellows of the Transatlantic Forum on Migration and Integration (TFMI). The Forum was established in 2008 by the German Marshall Fund of the United States (GMF) and the Robert Bosch Stiftung with a view to supporting an international learning and exchange platform on issues of migration and integration.
The TFMI Fellows featured in this issue of MPP include central government officials, and representatives of social partners and non-governmental organizations from Asia, Europe, South Africa and the United States, who discuss a range of migrant integration policies and programmes at the national and local levels.
- Introduction by Solon Ardittis and Frank Laczko
- A word on the Transatlantic Forum on Migration and Integrationby Stefanie Jost, Karoline Popp, Melanie Schuster and Astrid Ziebarth
- The importance of welcoming immigrants in today’s competitive world by Adam Hunter
- Internal migration and labour market integration: Breakthroughs in organizing and collectivizing migrant workers in India by Rajiv Khandelwal
- European cities: From integration to diversity policies by Ayse Özbabacan
- Xenofobia y discriminación. Desafíos y políticas públicas en España by Nicolás Marugán Zalba
- Muslim women in France by Frédérique Ast
- Dealing with cultural diversity from a labour market perspective: Intercultural competencies for stakeholders by Daniel Weber
- Schools as a vehicle for promoting inclusion: Lessons learned from the Pathways to Parental Leadership implemented by the Immigrant Council of Ireland (2008–2011) by Fidèle Mutwarasibo
- The effects of xenophobia on the integration of migrants in South Africa: An NGO perspective by Sicel’mpilo Shange-ButhaneTransatlantic public opinion on immigration: Important lessons for policymakers by Hamutal Bernstein