09 Oct 2020
Mapping and Mobilizing the Rwandan Diaspora in Europe for Development in Rwanda: A Policy Summary
This document is an abridged version of the longer report titled Mapping and Mobilizing the Rwandan Diaspora in Europe for Development in Rwanda: Comparative Report. The comparative review provides an overview of the findings of the country-specific reports – it presents the combined sociodemographic characteristics of the Rwandan diaspora in four European countries (Belgium, Germany, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom), summarizes the aggregate results of the mapping exercises in the four countries mentioned, examines convergences and divergences across the four focal countries, and offers recommendations.
The reports in this series aim to provide evidence-based information to the Government of Rwanda for policy formulation and enable the diaspora to contribute to the development of their home country.
The summary report was drafted in close coordination with the IOM office in Berlin, the Government of Rwanda and IOM Rwanda. It was reviewed by the Regional Thematic Specialists, the Labour Mobility and Human Development Programme of the Regional Office for East and Horn of Africa in Nairobi, the respective IOM country offices and the Government of Rwanda, both in Kigali and its embassies in the respective host countries.
- List of abbreviations
- 1. Introduction
- 1.1. Institutional and policy frameworks for diaspora engagement
- 1.2. Overview of aim, methodology and participants of the diaspora mapping exercises
- 2. Profile of the Rwandan diaspora in Europe
- 2.1. Educational and professional backgrounds
- 3. Diaspora engagement in the development of the country of origin
- 3.1. Knowledge and skills transfers
- 3.2. Remittances and investment
- 4. Country specificities
- 5. Obstacles to engagement and recommendations to address obstacles
- 5.1. Recommendations to address obstacles and increase incentives
- 5.2. Structured pathways for targeted interventions
- 5.3. Suggestions for the Government of Rwanda
- 6. Conclusion