08 Jun 2023
Labour Migration in Asia: What Does the Future Hold?
Drawing on the leading trends driving labour migration in Asia, as identified in Spotlight on Labour Migration in Asia, this report develops future scenarios based on each trend in key demand sectors in various destination countries and areas by studying the current landscape, as well as the evolving dynamics across different groups, focusing on migrant workers, businesses and policymakers. These forecasts are the result of a qualitative assessment of the identified trends, conducted through surveys, interviews and case studies. The report includes a policy playbook to inform and support policymakers in preparing for future labour migration dynamics in the region.
- EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- SECTION I: REGIONAL OUTLOOK FOR LOWER-SKILLED LABOUR MIGRATION IN ASIA
- SECTION II: OUTLOOK FOR KEY MIGRATION DRIVERS
- 1. DEMOGRAPHIC SHIFTS: AGEING
- 2. INCOME DIFFERENTIALS BETWEEN COUNTRIES
- 3. CLIMATE CHANGE
- 4. TECHNOLOGY AND AUTOMATION IN THE WORKPLACE
- 5. ECONOMIC TRANSFORMATION AND INFRASTRUCTURE DEVELOPMENT
- SECTION III: CONCLUSION AND RECOMMENDATIONS