03 May 2022
IOM Cash-based Interventions - Annual Report and Case Studies 2021
IOM is committed to using the most effective and innovative modalities and mechanisms available to ensure dignified assistance to people in need. Since 2019, special attention has been placed on developing internal capacity to increase the use and coordination of cash-based interventions (CBI) across the organization in line with the Grand Bargain commitments and the IOM Strategy for Humanitarian CBI 2019–2021.
In 2021, IOM continued to expand and systematize its use of CBI modalities to empower aid recipients and strengthen the resilience of affected populations. Throughout the year, IOM implemented cash and voucher assistance in 119 countries, reaching close to 1.9 million people, which is a 17 per cent increase from 2020 and a 162 per cent increase from 2018. In terms of the total number of aid recipients, the largest programmes took place in Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Yemen, the Syrian Arab Republic (cross-border response in the northwest) and Iraq.
The IOM CBI Annual Report and Case Studies 2021 highlights the increasing use of cash and voucher assistance in IOM and efforts to build capacity and knowledge on CBI within the organization. The report also features case studies from more than 30 IOM missions where CBI modalities were used to implement multipurpose cash assistance projects as well as a broad range of other IOM activities, including livelihoods support, shelter and return and reintegration assistance.
- List of acronyms
- Overview of IOM CBI activities in 2021
- Multipurpose cash
- Argentina / Colombia / Peru / Greece / Iraq / Jordan / Yemen / Indonesia / Myanmar / Pakistan
- Livelihoods assistance
- Bangladesh / Mauritania / Mozambique / Central African Republic / Iraq / Turkey / Nigeria / Uruguay
- Shelter assistance
- South Sudan / Ethiopia / Democratic Republic of the Congo / Somalia
- Return and reintegration
- Cambodia / Côte d’Ivoire / Senegal / the Sudan / Zimbabwe
- CBI assistance for other specific purposes
- Aruba / Curaçao / Guyana / Georgia / turkey / Afghanistan / Iraq / Jordan