29 Oct 2021
Institutional Strategy on Migration, Environment and Climate Change 2021–2030
The IOM Institutional Strategy on Migration, Environment and Climate Change aims to guide IOM efforts to strengthen its capacity to develop and implement a comprehensive approach to migration in the context of climate change, environmental degradation and disasters due to natural hazards, in line with the objectives of the 2030 Agenda on Sustainable Development, the Paris Agreement on Climate Change, the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration, the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction and the Nansen Agenda for the Protection of Cross-Border Displaced Persons in the Context of Disasters and Climate Change. Moreover, the Strategy emphasizes that IOM approach on this issue is anchored in human rights norms and principles, and relevant across the Humanitarian, Development and Peace Nexus.
The Strategy highlights IOM commitment to support the development of enabling environments that can help migrants, diasporas and their communities directly contribute to climate action and sustainable development in places of origin and destination.
As part of the IOM Strategic Vision 2019–2023: Setting a course for IOM and in order to achieve these objectives, the IOM Institutional Strategy on Migration, Environment and Climate Change aims to take stock of existing knowledge and establish institution-wide priorities and processes, in line with the three pillars articulated in the IOM strategic vision: resilience, mobility and governance.
- LIST OF ACRONYMS
- 1. OUR MISSION STATEMENT
- 2. IOM STRATEGY ON MIGRATION, ENVIRONMENT AND CLIMATE CHANGE
- 2.1 A defining contemporary reality: migration in the context of climate change, environmental degradation and disasters
- 2.2 Transformative policy changes and new global commitments
- 2.3 IOM commitments as a UN-related organization and relevant internal frameworks
- 2.4 A new era for human mobility
- 3. OUR GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- 3.1 Committing to a rights-based approach
- 3.2 Promoting an innovative and effective approach to migration governance and practice
- 3.3 Adopting a gender responsive approach
- 3.4 Implementing a migrant-centred and inclusive approach to enhance positive outcomes
- 3.5 Promoting a human security approach
- 3.6 Supporting policy coherence and enhancing partnerships
- 4. OUR HIGH ROAD SCENARIO FOR THE NEXT DECADE
- 4.1 Our Strategic Objectives
- 4.1.1 Strategic Objective 1: “We develop solutions for people to move.”
- Managing migration in the context of climate change, environmental degradation, and disasters due to natural hazards.
- 4.1.2 Strategic Objective 2: “We develop solutions for people on the move.”
- Assisting and protecting migrants and displaced persons in the context of climate change, environmental degradation, and disasters due to natural hazards.
- 4.1.3 Strategic Objective 3: “We develop solutions for people to stay.”
- Making migration a choice by building resilience and addressing the adverse climatic and environmental drivers that compel people to move.
- 4.2 Our Priority Areas of Engagement
- Priority Area of Engagement 1: IOM migration policy role – As the leading intergovernmental migration agency, IOM will support states and other players to develop innovative rights-based migration policies and practices that integrate issues of climate change, environmental degradation, and disasters due to natural hazards.
- Priority Area of Engagement 2: IOM operational role – As a leading operational actor, IOM will support States and other players to operationalize responses to migration and displacement in the context of environmental degradation, climate change and disasters, across the HDPN.
- Priority Area of Engagement 3: IOM knowledge provider role - As a leading knowledge provider, IOM will strengthen evidence-based policy and operational approaches to address migration in the context of climate change, environmental degradation and disasters due to natural hazards, through the production, analysis and dissemination of relevant data and knowledge.
- Priority Area of Engagement 4: IOM convening role – As a leading convener, IOM will promote policy coherence and inclusive partnerships to mainstream the inclusion of migration and displacement considerations in the climate change, environment, disaster, and other relevant agendas.
- 4.1 Our Strategic Objectives
- 5. TOWARDS IMPLEMENTATION
- 5.1 Supporting UN-wide approaches and implementing UN-wide commitments
- 5.2 Strengthening internal policy and technical capacities
- 5.3 Advocating effectively and relaying evidence-based narratives
- 5.4 Accessing global climate funding
- 5.5 Mainstreaming environmental sustainability dimensions
- 1. Existing institutional frameworks
- 2. New global policy commitments
- 3. Key environment and climate change terminology
- 4. Key migration terminology
- 5. Examples of IOM activities
- KEY IOM RESOURCES
- IOM official documents