01 Jun 2021
Human Resource Guidebook on Employer Obligations and Cultural Sensitivity
Migrant workers play an integral role in contributing to national economic growth of countries of origin, transit and destination, and the development of increasingly globalized and diverse business models. With migrant labour making 10 per cent of workforce in Thailand, workplaces across the country have become more diverse. Workers and employers have different sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions, ages, nationalities, ethnicities, religions, languages, and education.
Diversity in the workplace can create a better environment as long as individuals with different skills, experiences, and perspectives are accepted and valued. Workers and employers should learn how to communicate with each other and respect each other’s cultures. If they can achieve this at all levels of the organization, employer-worker relationships will likely improve, leading to a more inclusive, desirable and productive working environment.
When workers know that they are respected, and that their skills, experiences, and perspectives are welcomed and valued, they tend to show improved performance. It is therefore important for employers, Human Resource officers and interpreters to ensure that migrant workers have access to protection and that their rights and entitlements are respected according to the law. They should also help to create a workplace environment where all workers, regardless of nationality, are acknowledged, accepted, and valued.
- Challenges and Limitations
- Chapter I : Rights and Responsibilities of Employers and Workers under Thai Laws
- A. Recruitment and Hiring of Migrant Workers
- B. Prohibition of Forced Labour
- C: Workplace Standards and Employment Conditions
- D: Social Security Fund Benefits
- E: Workmen’s Compensation Fund Benefits
- F: Workers’ Rights to Freedom of Association and Collective Bargaining
- Chapter II : Understanding Cultural Sensitivity and Behaviour in The Workplace
- G. Tips for Being a Culturally Sensitive Employer
- H. The Culture of Cambodia - What Should You Know?
- I. The Culture of Myanmar - What Should You Know?