27 Dec 2022
Holistic Assessment of Current Economic Development Strategies, Labour Migration and Remittances to Belarus
The assessment will include a review and analysis of existing legal instruments and strategy documents related to labour migration, analysis of various labour migration dynamics in the economic, labour market, employment, education and country’s foreign policy fields; identify challenges faced by Belarus in the area of labour migration; map gaps in addressing labour migration issues and missed opportunities in maximizing the use of remittances; identify specific entry points to enhance the use of labour migration for development and conduct a mapping of state actors involved in the labour migration eco-system in Belarus. The assessment will have a special focus on gender issues, including an analysis of how a decrease in remittances may affect female-headed households.
The results will be used to prepare policy recommendations on strengthening the labor migration system for the government of Belarus, in order to ensure that the necessary policy measures are incorporated into national and local development strategies and action plans to harness the potential of labor migration processes for the socio-economic development of the country.
This publication was issued without formal editing by IOM.
- 1. THE PURPOSE AND THE METHODOLOGY OF THE STUDY
- 2. ANALYSIS OF EXTERNAL LABOUR MIGRATION FLOWS,INCLUDING IN THE CONTEXT OF THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC
- 2.1 Import of Labour Force
- 2.2 Export of Labour Force
- 3. THE IMPACT OF EXTERNAL LABOUR MIGRATION ON SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
- 3.1 Measurement of Migrant Workers' Remittances
- 3.2 The Impact of External Labour Migration on the Labour Market and the Standards of Living of Migrants' Households
- 3.3 The Relationship Between Labour Migration and Development from the Perspective of the Gender Approach
- 4. THE ECOSYSTEM OF EXTERNAL LABOUR MIGRATION IN THE REPUBLIC OF BELARUS
- 4.1 The Legal Framework
- 4.2 The Institutional Framework
- 4.3 The National Policy on Labour Migration. The Place of Labour Migration in the Policy Documents on State Development
- 5. CHALLENGES OF EXTERNAL LABOUR MIGRATION: THE VIEWPOINT OF THE PRIVATE SECTOR
- 6. ENTRY POINTS FOR EXPANDING THE USE OF THE POTENTIAL OF EXTERNAL LABOUR MIGRATION FOR THE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT OF THE COUNTRY
- 6.1 Recommendations on the Use of the Potential of Migrant Workers
- 6.2 Recommendations for Ensuring More Efficient Use of Foreign Labour Force
- APPENDIX 1
- APPENDIX 2
- APPENDIX 3