15 Apr 2020
Community Engagement in Preventing and Responding to Gender-based Violence and Trafficking in Persons (Training Guide)
In an effort to strengthen the capacity of law enforcement agencies in Nigeria on gender-based violence and trafficking in persons, the International Organization for Migration in Nigeria previously developed two training guides for the Nigeria Police Force (NPF). As one of a three-part training package, this manual is based on a capacity assessment and consultation conducted with the NPF and Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) in North-East Nigeria. This manual is practical and operationally oriented and is not designed as a series of lessons or academic treatise, but a practical “how to” guide that integrates and contextualizes training materials, resources, research and best practices developed by other agencies and experts to fit NPF and NSCDC needs in North-East Nigeria.
- List of acronyms
- Section 1: Introduction to the training manual
- 1.1. Purpose and objectives
- 1.2. Overall objective of the manual
- 1.3. Targeted audience
- 1.4. Methodology
- 1.5. How to use this manual
- Section 2: Understanding community engagement concept
- 2.1. What is community engagement?
- 2.2. Why involve the community?
- 2.3. Who to engage?
- 2.4. Effective engagement
- 2.5. How can law enforcement ensure participation?
- 2.6. Planning and designing community engagement
- 2.7. Principles of community engagement
- 2.8. Consequences of trafficking in persons
- 2.9. Towards a people-centred humanitarian response
- 2.10. Meaningful engagement with communities
- 2.11. Potential barriers to inclusion to consider
- 2.12. Tips to successful community engagement
- 2.13. Challenges in engaging community in preventing and responding to GBV and TIP
- Section 3: Community engagement: Facilitation and convening skills and tips
- 3.1. Skills
- 3.2. Knowledge
- 3.3. Attitude
- 3.4. Tips in building a safe and trusting environment
- 3.5. Managing difficult situations
- 3.6. Common gender resistance ideas and possible responses
- Section 4: Methods and techniques of engagement: Practical step-by-step activities
- Section 5: Community accountability and oversight
- 5.1. Methods that support community accountability
- 5.2. Formal complaint and response mechanism
- 5.3. Community action plan (Together we can)
- 5.4. Community monitoring and evaluation