25 Aug 2021
Advocating for Alternatives to Migration Detention: Tools Series N°2
The IOM ATD Series is a set of tools aimed at guiding IOM staff and other interested stakeholders in conceiving, developing, implementing and advocating alternatives to detention (ATD). This Guide is part of the IOM ATD Series, and it is intended to provide user-friendly guidance on how to conduct advocacy in the context of ATDs. It emphasizes the importance of well-informed, well-planned and context-specific advocacy efforts.
The ATD Advocacy Guide is primarily intended for use by IOM staff, but other stakeholders, including UN entities, NGOs, government officials, among others, may also find it useful for initiating and scaling up ATD advocacy, as well as strengthening partnerships, in support of ATDs.
IOM is committed to promoting ATDs under a rights based approach (RBA), as a more humane way of managing irregular migration, compared to detention, in full respect of international standards, with preference for the use of community based and non-custodial measures.
- 1.1 Understanding Alternatives to Detention
- SECTION 1 - ALTERNATIVES TO MIGRATION DETENTION: CONCEPT AND LEGAL BASIS
- 1.2 Examples of ATDs
- 1.3 International Standards and State Commitments
- 2.1 The WHAT and the WHY of ATD Advocacy
- SECTION 2 - ADVOCACY FOR ALTERNATIVES TO MIGRATION DETENTION
- 2.2 The WHO: advocates, audience, partners and beneficiaries
- 2.3 The HOW: how to do advocacy in the context of ATDs