13 oct 2015
Migration for Development in the Horn of Africa: Health expertise from the Somali diaspora in Finland
Directed at a diverse audience of policymakers and practitioners, as well as the larger public interested in contemporary transnational issues, this book captures the context in Finland and Somalia which has led to the very first MIDA (Migration for Development in Africa) project for Somalia. Contributors from a variety of fields discuss, among others, the links between migration and development, the migration profile of Somalia, prevailing needs of the Somali health sector, as well as the concrete contributions made by IOM Helsinki’s pilot project “MIDA Health - Strengthening the Health Sector in Somaliland and Puntland through the Engagement of Somali Diaspora Health Professionals from Finland”.
In providing a summary of lessons learned and a comprehensive set of conclusions, this book aims to inspire and guide future MIDA activities in the Somali health sector and beyond.
- Chapter 1 - Migration for Development in the Horn of Africa. Health expertise from the Somali diaspora in Finland
- Chapter 2 - Understanding the links between migration and development
- Chapter 3 - The Somali crisis and Finland’s development approach to Somalia
- Chapter 4 - Challenges and benefits of mobility in the Somali context
- Chapter 5 - Reinforcing Somalia’s health sector
- Chapter 6 - Conclusions
- Accronyms and Abbreviatons